Wednesday, January 27, 2016

TOOLS OF THE TRADE: SOCKS!


How do we keep the Troll Feet and Piggies warm when it is -10F in the sun and the wind is howling? The answer is circulation, Socks and more Socks! 

Dressing the feet: We do not go out in below-freezing weather in a summer jacket, so why would we put summer socks on our feet? Larger socks trap more warm air next to the skin and provide improved insulation. As we layer up our bodies for the cold, so shall we do the same for the feet! Many individuals wear two or three layers of socks. My inner boot will count as a significantly large layer so I will add a WigWam Dry Foot Liner to soak up the sweat and moisture in addition to blister prevention.
Next to the skin.

To help me keep the 10 little piggies warm and in good shape, I have chosen the over-the-calf Thorlo Beyond Mountaineering Sock.

For the cold and higher altitude.

 For the trip on and off the mountain I will be wearing Thorlo Beyond Trekking Socks.  

Everyday Hiking.
Thorlo for the win!

My boots will be up to one size larger than normal boots in order to fit the layers of socks and still be able to have appropriate circulation to the piggies. Many people put on boots that are too small with too many layers of socks and the circulation takes a hit.  I like my toes very much and am sort of attached to them. So if I have to spend a little extra coin to make sure they stay pink then so be it.  



No comments:

Post a Comment